Having separated from the First Baptist Church of Carrollton, Georgia, nineteen people formed a new congregation named Central Baptist Church on October 15, 1899. Various ministers preached until W. W. Roop was called as the first pastor on September 1, 1900.
On January 6, 1901, a house of worship for Central Baptist Church was dedicated. Located on Tanner Street, it seated 400 people. The church was relieved of all indebtedness by an offering taken during the dedication and by the assumption of the remaining debt by individuals. The church had 24 members.
The church quickly grew to the point that it needed a new structure. During the pastorate of J. I. Oxford (1912-1915), a new building was constructed at the corner of Bradley and West Center Streets with a capacity of 1,400, which was large enough to accommodate the entire population of Carrollton at that time. When the building was completed in 1914, the church’s name was changed to Tabernacle Baptist Church.
The church continued to grow to more than 1,000 members in the late 1940’s. To accommodate the growing numbers of people, the Bradley Street facilities were expanded. Education buildings were added in 1942, 1949, and again in 1957. In 1973 a multi-purpose building was erected. During the renovation of the sanctuary in 1951-52, balconies were added and a stained glass window depicting Christ in prayer was installed. The center portion of this window, which has become a symbol of Tabernacle’s ministry and outreach, is now located in the church’s chapel.
During the pastorate of Ron Stone (1983-1991), the congregation relocated for the second time in its history. The present facilities, at the corner of Cottage Hill Road, Tabernacle Drive, and Highway 166 Bypass were first used on February 5, 1989. Today, membership stands at more then 2,600.
For more than a century Tabernacle has sought to be visionary. As the congregation has entered her second century, she is still actively pursuing her mission of witness, service, and fellowship throughout the community and the world.